The Lewis chessmen (or Uig chessmen, named after the bay where they were found) are a group of 78 12th century chess pieces, along with other gaming pieces, most of which are carved in walrus ivory.
Discovered in 1831 on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, they may constitute some of the few complete, surviving medieval chess sets, although it is not clear if a set as originally made can be assembled from the pieces.
They are owned and exhibited by the British Museum in London, which has 82 of the original pieces, and the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, which has 11 original pieces.
3.35 Inch King Height. Resin felted pieces in ivory and teak colour.
19 Inch mahogany and sycamore chessboard included.
Please note: ‘Ivory and Teak’ refers to the colours of the crushed marble and resin chessmen. These chessmen do not contain any animal product as defined by CITES.