The Lewis chessmen (or Uig chessmen, named after the bay where they were found) are a group of 78 12th century chess pieces, along with other gaming pieces, most of which were carved in walrus ivory. Discovered in 1831 on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland, they may constitute some of the few complete, surviving medieval chess sets, although it is not clear if a set as originally made can be assembled from the pieces.
They are owned and exhibited by the British Museum in London, which has 82 of the original pieces, and the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, which has 11 original pieces.
3.35 Inch King height. Stone resin, felted pieces.
19 Inch mahogany and sycamore chessboard included.
Customer Advice – It is recommended that the chess pieces are removed periodically from the board to avoid pressure marks on the surface of chessboard.